Spring is here and it's time to get outdoors. Many of us are ready for Spring Cleaning, and that includes the exterior of our homes.
While we were indoors this winter, the elements played havoc with our homes' exteriors. Here are 10 things you can do to enhance the value of your home and add curb appeal:
- Pressure wash the exterior. Clean the soffits and fascias, sidewalks and driveways, porches and decks. The house will sparkle, and you may extend the life of your paint job.
- Paint the exterior of your home if needed, and replace any rotten wood. Seal and caulk around windows and doors.
- Clean the gutters. Not only should gutters be free of leaves, pine straw and other debris, they should be washed to remove mildew and grime.
- Freshen up those flower beds! As a flower lover, I have many blooming perennials around my home, but a seasonal pop of color and a fresh layer of mulch make flower beds more appealing.
- Wash your windows inside and out. The sun streaming into your home is glorious, but not if your windows are streaked and dingy. Grab some window cleaner and old newspapers and shine, shine, shine! (Tip: newspapers don't leave streaks)
- Let the fresh air in! While cleaning your windows, go the extra step and clean the windowsills. Open the windows to air out your home. Pet odor, smoke, and musty odors should be banished from the home.
- Wash your patio furniture and consider adding bright, colorful all-weather pillows and cushions.
- Trim your shrubs and trees, but consult The Farmer's Almanac for the best time(s) to prune. You wouldn't want to cut the seasons' flowers off before they bloom!
- Use weed control on your lawn. Remove dead limbs. Rake and/or mulch spent leaves. Mow, edge flower beds, and blow off the driveway as needed.
- Pay attention to the front door. Add fresh paint or buy a colorful Spring wreath. Place an attractive pot of flowers near the front steps.
Not only will following these tips add curb appeal, you'll add value to your home if you plan to sell.
Top 10 Tips to Spring Clean Outside the Home
Image (House Painter Standing on Ladder) courtesy of vectorolie at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Image "Blue Handle In London Antique Brown Door Rusty Brass Nail And" courtesy of lkpro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Written and Published by Pat Starnes REALTOR
Pat specializes in Residential and New Home Sales
Primary Service Area:
Brandon, Pearl, Ridgeland, Flowood and the Ross Barnett Reservoir area
Pat Starnes, Broker Associate
Front Gate Real Estate, 6700 Old Canton Rd., Suite C
Ridgeland, MS 39157
601-278-4513 - Cell
Recent Blog Posts by Pat Starnes:
Are you looking to buy or sell a home in the Brandon MS market? Call me!